The End of Radio

Written by on 28 November 2020

Hello Everybody

Radio Max Italo (RMI) it finished broadcasting the radio signal on the Internet: 30.11.2020 at 09:30 PM.
The reason is the huge cost of maintaining a legal radio, unfortunately Internet radio is treated by law as a commercial radio and there is no relief here, no matter if hobby, amateur etc. Each radio has no chance on existing without financial income, support or paid advertising.
Exactly April 14 will be 11 years of our activity, we expected such an end and it was inevitable.

Thank you to all listeners who have listened to us through this rather modest time, I hope you will find a similar radio on the Internet to remember great eighties or relive it with ‘Italo Disco New Generation’ which was our great dream to play for you that style that has reappeared to us all.
We would like to thank all the people who took an active part in the creation and functioning of our radio completely free of charge devoting their precious and private time. Special thanks go to presenters who once played on one of our channels. Let me mention a few radio presenters: Bogusław Grzegorzewski, Lucjan Borkowski ,Krzysztof Droździk, Krzysztof Gabelski
Jolanta Chroszcz, Zenon Wrozyna.

Another special thanks to all artists who sent us digital files for free at the disposal of the radio, we may not mention them all but a few will be reminded:
Kennard van der Bijl, Italove, Martin Blix, Cristina Manzano, Birizdo I Am, Frank Lozano, Giuseppe Alicata, James Manoro, Joey Mauro, Knights, Kristian Conde, Lian Ross, Linda Jo Rizzo, Marc Fruttero, Maxthor, Nation In Blue, Nea, New Dream, Nikita Fomin, Ryan Paris, Savage, Stylove, Systems In Blue, Vincent International, Franck Choppin, Mika Ella and many other great artists.

Another thanks to all those who recorded their voices with greeting to RMI: Mika Ella, Birizdo I Am, Closed, Cristina Manzano, Digitalo, Elen Cora, Felli, Frank Lozano, Fred Ventura, Gazebo, George Aaron, GinaT, Joey Mauro, Ken Martina, Lian Ross, Linda Jo Rizzo, Margo, Martin Blix, Maxthor, Michael Nolen, Mirko Hirsch, Moderno, Nation In Blue, Nea, New Dream, Nikita Fomin, Raffaele Fiume, Ryan Paris, Savage, Styloo, Tam Harrow, Tom Hooker I Miki Chieregato, The Sweeps. All record labels and producers who also supported us with digital files, cd’s and vinyls: Beach Club Records (Netherlands), Flash Back Records (Finland), Pokorny Music Solutions (Germany), Italo Box Music (Poland), SP Records (Russia), Team 33 Music (Spain), In OUT Records (Spain), SP Music, Management (UK), DWA Records (Italy)

And very special thanks for help for: Kimmo Salo, Kennard van der Bijl, Alicja Gabelska, Bogusław Grzegorzewski, Krzysztof Droździk, Krzysztof Gabelski

And that’s it, we hope that we leave nice memories of our radio episode on the net.

Greetings..
RMI team

Tagged as

Reader's opinions
  1. Anatoly   On   17 December 2020 at 12:30

I’m so happy to hear that you may retransmit )))
    But please maintain Italo Disco New Generation channel as a distinct one (within these three channels). I.e. without any additional thematic programs with the genres like Italo Disco Classic, Synthpop, Instrumental etc. I’m sure that many RMI listeners will support this idea ))
    But be that as it may, we are all waiting for the return of radio in any variation ))

2. Max   On   15 December 2020 at 18:08

There is a spark of hope, we are just testing Canadian servers… of course and the license will be too .. but only three channels

3. MandM   On   10 December 2020 at 22:19

RMI was my Aiwa450 deck, was my Videoton speaker, was my Sony Ehf tape cassette, was my high school classmate, was my first love, WAS MY YOUTH. All gone.
    I’m very sad!
    I listened every morning going to work, and every afternoon going from work. That was my private discotheque, I was in the 80’s, I was teenager in my car twice a day. it will all be missed!
    Thank You Everything, RMI!

4. Sonyjoseph   On   9 December 2020 at 20:10

Its very sad to hear!!! Please try to restart the broadcasting.. Anyway thanks for the happy hours i had with your radio…with love from india…👌👌👌👌👍👍👍👍

5. Max   On   8 December 2020 at 20:20

hello
    It is possible to run up to three channels, but we have to check everything from the legal and financial side, but it will take some time, if the radio is launched, the information will appear on the website.

6. Spunki   On   7 December 2020 at 15:14

Yes, really and I think so many channels are redundant as you have to pay for them, why not leave only one channel italo disco new generation and pay only for it?

My congratulations for being able to find a solution to your problem and get help to keep your great radio sounding again.

I would like to ask you how exactly helped you Louis de Wit?

Is there any way we can help you and we listeners, we have a strong desire for it.

How will we listeners understand the new address of the radio on which we can listen to it again, when will the radio start broadcasting again from the new server?

Greetings and best wishes for you.

• Louis   On   7 December 2020 at 23:38

Hi Spunki, I simply gave Max a suggestion as I have been in a similar situation with my station. However, I am located in a different country, so I don’t know what country’s have the same rule(s) as my country (The Netherlands) if it comes to copyrights laws and a license. If Max’s county have pretty much the same law, there might be a solution. Yet I don’t know how RMI is setup, so I also don’t how much work it would be for Max. Now the other question(s) can only be answered by Max.
      Greetings and best wishes to you too.

7. Mark   On   6 December 2020 at 23:41

Hi I am Mark from the Netherlands (near neighbour of K van der Bijl, but that is not so important, right now.) Dear Max, personally I think that it would be awesome if you came back in the air. RMI played 8 hours a day here, and now I hear my own playlist over and over again. My god I miss your stations as a true Italo-Discophile. (that word should be taken into the Dictionary!)

Again personally, I would be glad if “In the Mix” came back as 80″s channel, New Italo channel, and an Euro-disco channel, if it is all possible.

I know we are becoming a small group of “Italove”-ers, but it feel so damn good if we can keep the genre alive!

Whatever happens. I thank all of the artists and label-owners for the contribution to Max!

And great thanks to yourself and Kennard for what you are doing.

Mark.

8. Max   On   6 December 2020 at 08:12

There is a chance to retransmit but with a smaller number of channels and on other servers, which is associated with the change of the stream address.
    We got the information from FreestyleFM and here we thank Louis de Wit for the possibility that would suit RMI.
    As for the smaller number of channels, the maximum would be 3, to reconcile everyone who had their favorite channel, we could create programs with the appropriate genre on one of them .. that is 2 thematic channels and our proposal is channel 1. Euro Disco and 2 New Generation and Italo Disco Classic where there will be radio shows: Italo Disco Classic, instrumental, syntchpop etc.
    What do you all think about such a solution? because there is no other option

• giomba   On   8 December 2020 at 17:20

If reducing the number of channels is the way to have you back, then go for it.

As concerns me, I was always tuned to the New Generation channel, but may I suggest an interesting playlist schedule of 23 or 25 hours, in order to not match the duration of the day, and allow songs to shift.
      Example: if one dislikes genre X and can only listen from 21.00 to 23.00, and every day you broadcast the genre X during that interval, he would stop listening – like I do for traditional radios. Instead, if you introduce a little shift of 1-2 hours, every day from 21.00 to 23.00 there would be a different genre, and the genre X playlist will be played only once in a while.

Changing streaming server does not look like a big deal, just publish the link on this site, and as long as we can listen to the radio using our local player, I see no problem. You said that you cannot encrypt the signal and have listeners pay for it, and this looks reasonable because installing a dedicated app is too much of a pain, but I would suggest you to have your speakers say something like “this is a niche radio, please remember to donate”. No big deal, we listen to 1-2 minutes of sponsors, why not also 10 sec of this? Moreover, I’ve always assumed that the sponsors that you mentioned during the air time were enough.

In any case, thank you for all the money and time you’ve invested in this project, and all the time you involve in searching for solutions and listening to our suggestions.

9. Berri   On   6 December 2020 at 00:53

Deeply saddened by this unexpected end. There is no substitute to RMI. I will miss your huge library, especially the instrumental versions that I listened so much. I honestly don’t know how I will discover all those fantastic italo disco pieces that are still unknown to me. This is musical limbo…

Farewell Max Italo. Cheers from France and I sincerely hope you will solve your debt problems.

10. Spunki   On   5 December 2020 at 08:32

All the artists who have broadcast and provided you with their audio recordings, they can all help you, they earn thousands and even millions from their albums, if each of them sponsors you even with 2-3 euros, then the amount you have to pay for a license will be collected very quickly, really what prevents them from doing so, will they be impoverished?

and in addition, we your listeners also want to help you, I suggest we start collecting an amount for you to help you pay your license and start broadcasting again.

let everyone think, if we organize your listeners, and each donate by themselves even more 1 euro, how quickly the amount can be collected to start again.

• Max   On   5 December 2020 at 21:44

hi
      Spunki
      If we sign new copyright agreements, etc., we have to pay, if we resign because there will be no payments, e.g. from listeners, we still have to pay for three months after the termination of radio license agreements.
      It is not that simple, no one has to pay to listen to the radio and no one can be forced… Also, you cannot encode a signal (radio stream) to charge for a connection to the radio. Ordinary listener has no idea how it works, he just listens and doesn’t care …
      As I wrote, the payments must be regular, if someone resigns, we already have a financial problem….No artist will pay anything to the radio because, as far as we know, they do not have coconuts from their work due to piracy on the Internet, illegal radio stations, etc.
      No company will submit advertisements because too few people listen, and the more they listen, the cost of the radio increases … do you know that radio pays for each listener? we currently have servers for 1000 listeners, if there will be 2000 then the fee will be doubled

11. Robert   On   4 December 2020 at 06:03

Może jakiś format czy platforma umożliwiająca, najlepiej w postaci rocznej opłaty, Będą małe pieniądze na reklamę w internecie, więc przybędzie słuchaczy i tak to będzie się kręcić.

12. Dan the Italo Disco Man   On   3 December 2020 at 13:35

You had the best Italo streams online. All at high quality. Don’t give up, please!
    If you had 15000 people (I was one of them), charge us 10 Euros per year (yes, per year, not month). Listeners will drop from 15000 to 5000 but you will still make money. I am sure your listeners will pay less than 1 Euro per month for your streams. Keep the stream quality up.
    I liked the best the Instrumental stream. Nobody else had that. 🙂

• Max   On   3 December 2020 at 15:47

Hi Dan
      it is not possible to charge for listening to the radio. only solution to (DONATE) in paypal but nobody wants to pay in any amount.
      best regards
      Max

• Dan the Italo Disco Man   On   5 December 2020 at 01:20

Hello Max,
        We are not giving up on you. Bandcamp and all artists are loosing if you go offline. Without you, I wouldn’t have known about any of them and all the record labels mentioned during the ads. And look what I am doing now, I like their work so much that I beg you and them to take my money.

Their Bandcamp business model is not suitable for busy people. Who has the time to spend on their website listening and deciding what to purchase? And then what do you do with the tracks? More time to sort them into playlists and get bored while playing them.

What we want is to listen to Internet radio as you provided us with the different streams, all high quality, well categorised and mixed. We pay for it and the chain needs to distribute the money to everybody. No waste of time for us, we hear the music we like and have the option to go to different streams if we want more variety. If we want to purchase a track, we can always do it.

I wrote a message to Bandcamp and let them know that you and the radio stations are very important for them and their artists and they need to find a way to keep you on the air; to the artists’ benefits. But I don’t know if they will be wise enough to read, listen and do something about it.

You stopped the streams only one week ago; I think there will be more people coming here to check what is going on. Please capitalise on this; make us register our intent to pay or something that you can use either to come up with an amount for us to pay or for your sponsors to understand you are an essential element in music discovery.

Sorry for the long message, please don’t give up. We’ll support you and I think so will the artists.

Best regards,
        Dan

• Max   On   5 December 2020 at 07:23

I do not know what to write, before starting the radio, you have to sign the license agreements, which is associated with costs in the amount of 1500 euro per month, at the moment I am not able to finance the radio any further 🙁

• Louis   On   6 December 2020 at 01:40

I did send you an email with an option that worked for my station. Don’t know if this could also work for your station, but still…who knows ?

• Pako   On   10 December 2020 at 17:08

Hi, I I am a listener. Why did I not know you were having money problems for the station. If I would have known I would have given.I did not see your donations section. Ask for help people pay for what they enjoy, your not alone. Ask for help and allow people to help you.

• Владимир   On   18 December 2020 at 21:49

Инструментальный поток. Такого больше ни у кого не было.

13. Koen   On   3 December 2020 at 10:11

Hi guys, I want to say Thank you for all the years I have joined Radio Max Italo!
    I’ve listened your music on my dreambox (WebRadioFS) for many years, later via the directstream URL in VLC. Thanks a lot and good luck in the future! Kind Regards, Koen Cornelissen, The Netherlands

14. giomba   On   2 December 2020 at 23:23

It’s very sad to hear this news, I’ve been listening at RMI for the past years, and discovered some great artists here. I’ve always listened to you, at home, on the train, at parties – when we could have them – and now you were especially precious during these days of coronavirus, at home.
    I’ll miss you all a lot. This announce is like losing some dear companion which always fills your void with great music.
    I still can’t think this is true… I can’t accept this, yet. Have you ever thought about having listeners pay? Many people pay for Spotify, I would pay for this – given it is a reasonable amount. Would you ever try this way? I’ve never heard any announcement for this over the air, otherwise I would have donated something.
    In any case, whathever you will do, I thank you for all the great music you gave us in these years, and I hope the best for you all, and that you will be able to pay your debts soon, and, especially in this moment, have a good health.

15. Max   On   2 December 2020 at 21:04

Hello
    the radio costs about 1,500 euros a month, for 10 years I have put a lot of money and now I can say that I am left with debts, I am not able to pay for the radio anymore ;(
    We will not broadcast illegally, as other stations do, there are severe penalties for broadcasting without a license. About 15,000 people a month listened to the radio, but unfortunately that didn’t help maintain the radio.
    If we find sponsors together, we can resume broadcasting, but without financial help it is not possible

• Sal   On   3 December 2020 at 08:06

Why not charge a membership fee that can cover the cost or create your own app that can charge customers by the month like VOX

16. Robert   On   2 December 2020 at 19:29

It’s really a shame. I was listening all of your radios during last few years and you were one of the best radios on the net and the best Italo radio. I’m really sorry we won’t be able to listen to you anymore.
    Greetings from Croatia from big Italo disco fan.
    Robert

17. Borimir Piasetski   On   2 December 2020 at 10:56

печаль я слушал вас около 6 лет. Привет из России, жалко что не где не осталось записей ваших эфиров

• Сергей из Великого Новгорода. Россия   On   4 December 2020 at 21:05

Я был ужасно расстроен , когда узнал , что моё любимое радио прекратило своё вещание . Очень жаль ,что в нашем мире деньги вышли на первое место . А ведь хочется чего нибудь и для души . Искренне надеюсь ещё услышать вас в эфире. Спасибо и удачи.

• Danilov Vladimir   On   10 December 2020 at 21:24

Очень жаль, столько лет вместе
        (Йошкар-Ола, Марий Эл, РФ)

18. Peter Toth   On   1 December 2020 at 20:21

I have been listening RMI for years.
    Want to say thank you for those hundreds of hours filled with joy, memories.
    Hope I can hear you soon.

19. Mirek   On   1 December 2020 at 10:42

Very sorry to hear you are finishing your broadcast. Very well chosen music. It was the music I like and that’s all I like. The essence of the 80s. Lots of wonderful channels in great quality
    As we all see, business knows no mercy.
    It’s great harm.
    Be sure to let me know if you resume broadcasting!
    …Your faithful listener!

20. Sanjib Dutta   On   28 November 2020 at 19:13

Hello Team RMI,

I have been listening to RMI’s Euro Disco channel for years. This channel had the best selection of Euro disco songs. Thank you for your service. All good things do come to an end. So long, my friend.

Sanjib Dutta,

Vancouver, BC, Canada

• @Serega_Oldschool   On   4 December 2020 at 16:14

It was best disco radio ever! So bad:(((( r.i.p. …it was awesome… f*cking 2020s…:(((( Russian’s sad about this:((( hi from Moscow.